The Office of the Speaker is established under Article 178(1) of the Constitution which states: “Each County Assembly shall have a Speaker elected by the County Assembly from among persons who are not Members of the Assembly”.
The Speaker of the County Assembly shall have the following duties and responsibilities:-
- The Chair of the County Assembly Service Board.
- The Speaker presides over all debates of the County Assembly (unless delegated) without prejudice.
- Enforces the observance of the Constitution, the Standing Orders, relevant statutes and Assembly traditions, procedures and practices.
- The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writs for vacant County Assembly seats.
- Spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly and by extension, Assembly, is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused.
- The Speaker is the final authority on all matters touching on the interpretation and application of the practice and procedure of Assembly at all times.
Hon. John Kaguchia
County Assembly of Nyeri